If you have a pet then you understand what this means. Looking for a home means more than just finding the right space for you, it means finding a home that meets all of the needs of your family. Yes, pets are family! They provide us with unconditional love and affection and should be considered in the purchase of a home. Each pet is different and may have different needs. Here are some tips on finding the right home for your entire family, fur babies included!
1. Determine the space your pet needs. Do you need a large yard with room to run or do you prefer a smaller area with less to maintain? Communities with walking paths or near recreational areas may also be a good idea. If you have cats look for a home with accessible windows that they can look out of and room that provides them with space for toys, climbing towers, etc.
2. Determine the flooring that would be best. Most pet owners prefer that their flooring be a solid surface rather than carpet. This also helps cut down on allergens and odors.
3. Stairs or no stairs. For cat owners, stairs are not usually an issue. However, depending on the type of animal you have or breed of dog, stairs could be a no no. This doesn't mean that you have to rule out a two story home but you will need to take into account that gates or dividers of some kind may be needed to keep you pets safe and off the stairs.
4. Take your pet with you to showings! If allowed, take you pet with you to a showing and see how they feel in the space. Yes, I realize that not every pet can behave themselves and that not every homeowner will appreciate having someone's animal in their home. Use common sense when doing this and always clear it with your Realtor so they know ahead of time.
5. Remember that your pet will be happy wherever you are. If you are comfortable in your new home, they will be too!
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.