It's back! The North Myrtle Beach Farmers Market is back and I could be more excited! The North Myrtle Beach Farmers Market will open for the summer season tomorrow, May 25th, 2012 on 1st Avenue S in North Myrtle Beach between the new North Myrtle Beach library and City Hall. Since last year North Myrtle Beach has added restrooms and 2 metal roofed, open air shelters allowing vendors and shoppers to come rain or shine!
So why should you buy local? Great question!
- Locally grown produce and locally raised, grass fed, free range animals provide you with a fresher, better tasting, healthier eating experience.
- Local food lowers our carbon footprint by spending less time in transition from the fields to the market, allowing it to retain more flavor and nutrients, improving its overall quality.
- Most local produce is often harvested the day of purchase.
- You get to enjoy produce that is in season. As seasons change, so do your food options. If you eat local you will get to try all of the local and regional foods throughout the year.
- It helps support our farming neighbors as they depend the direct market and local consumers to sustain their operations. Competition with corporate product costs and competition with corporate production makes it harder to stay in business.
- It provides sustainability and stability within your community.
- It strengthens the local economy.
- It allows you to build a connection with the people behind your food. This means you can put a face and a farm with local food. I can't stress how important this is!
- It puts money back into the community as well as the farm.
SUPPORT LOCAL! Shop the North Myrtle Beach Farmers Market on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 to 6!